Re: New Packager question again: can you point me to a not flawed package?

Paul Johnson wrote:
>> At some point,
>> I'm hoping to be able to generate format 3.0 packages from Git in some way
>> that exposes the way that I'm actually working to other people working on
>> packages.
>
> I can't understand why  you would do it this way.  Seems like it would
> lead to hard-to-catch coding mistakes.  If there were 50 patches, some
> of which others contribute,  there might be a chance to figure which
> one blows something up.  As long as the patches are separate, there's
> a chance I could back-track and find the problem.  But it seems like
> you are saying that you apply those 50 patches, and then make one
> jumbo diff including all changes.
>
> I thought--yesterday in this list--that people were telling me that is
> a bad practice..  It destroys accountability.

I'm not a DD, so I might be wrong, but: Different people have different
work flow, there's nothing in the Debian policy that I know that tells
that a big .diff is wrong. I would agree it's a bad practice (I
personally don't like it), but this is only my taste. If working with
Git it should be possible to track changes too, so if somebody feels
happy like this, it's not a problem in Debian.

Thomas