Re: New Packager question again: can you point me to a not flawed package?

On Sat, 31 May 2008 15:19:02 -0500, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> said:

> You may recall I was the one who asked yesterday "Why do you encourage
> packagers to open the source code and fool around?"  I got answers
> which indicate that the source code generally should not be changed
> directly, and all changes should either be in patches that are stored
> in the debian/patches directory or in the other configuration files
> like "rules". I say "Yes, I agree" I am used to that from RPM
> building.  I think you should force people to prove they can build
> packages by applying patches to an original, untouched tarball or
> putting details in a debian directory.

        Err, I don't think even half of my packages follow those
 guidelines.  I fall in the group of people who use a modern SCM for
 development, and not a stacked patch set.  I am not going to presume by
 telling you that either approach is inferior, though I certain have an
 opinion.

        I do have a emacs package you can look at for details, if you
 wish: http://git.debian.org/git/users/srivasta/debian/vm.git

        manoj
--
Oh my GOD -- the SUN just fell into YANKEE STADIUM!!