Re: RFS: uvccapture (5th try)

Hello Vincent,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

2008/5/25 Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>:
> You seem to have difficulties to  find a sponsor for your package. I see
> two problems not related to packaging:
>  - README tells that  the software is really a hack,  has high CPU usage
>   and it  should become useless at  some point (still  image support is
>   not yet  available in the UVC  driver).  When a  software is included
>   into Debian,  it will stay in it  for quite some time  (longer than a
>   release, about  two years). If  uvccapture becomes useless  or breaks
>   just after lenny is out, this is a pity.

According to Linux-UVC page [1] still image support is not even yet
started, so uvccapture is only way to get a snapshot from UVC device
and this will not change in near future. Moreover, even with completed
support for still images it should also works using current solution
(let say current "hack").

>  - This  is a  very specific  software targetted  at people  owning this
>   specific piece  of hardware  and needing a  soft for  taking periodic
>   snapshots. I suppose that it is  because the lack of image support in
>   USB UVC drivers  that this software uses a  specific approach to take
>   pictures? As  a sponsor,  not being  able to test  the software  is a
>   major drawback.

I have few UVC compatibile webcams at work, so I'm able to test and
troubleshot problems with this package myself. Also I'm going to
support this program for longer, as I'm maintaining infrastructure
with such webcams at work.

> You may try  to find a sponsor by looking  at maintainers shipping video
> (and webcam) related softwares in Debian. They may be more interested in
> uvccapture and they are more likely to have hardware to test it.

I'm current maintainer of webcam package (and whole xawtv suite), I
have hardware, I just do not have a sponsor. What a pity :-(

[1] http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

--
Krzysztof Burghardt <krzysztof@burghardt.pl>
http://www.burghardt.pl/