Re: RFS: uvccapture (5th try)

OoO  En ce début  d'après-midi ensoleillé  du samedi  17 mai  2008, vers
15:53, "Krzysztof Burghardt" <krzysztof@burghardt.pl> disait:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "uvccapture".

>  * Package name    : uvccapture
>  Version         : 0.4-1
>  Upstream Author : Gabriel A. Devenyi <ace@staticwave.ca>
> * URL             : http://staticwave.ca/source/uvccapture/
> * License         : GPL (version 2 or newer)
>  Section         : graphics

> It builds these binary packages:
>  uvccapture - USB UVC Video Class snapshot software

Hi Krzysztof!

You seem to have difficulties to  find a sponsor for your package. I see
two problems not related to packaging:
 - README tells that  the software is really a hack,  has high CPU usage
   and it  should become useless at  some point (still  image support is
   not yet  available in the UVC  driver).  When a  software is included
   into Debian,  it will stay in it  for quite some time  (longer than a
   release, about  two years). If  uvccapture becomes useless  or breaks
   just after lenny is out, this is a pity.
 - This  is a  very specific  software targetted  at people  owning this
   specific piece  of hardware  and needing a  soft for  taking periodic
   snapshots. I suppose that it is  because the lack of image support in
   USB UVC drivers  that this software uses a  specific approach to take
   pictures? As  a sponsor,  not being  able to test  the software  is a
   major drawback.

You may try  to find a sponsor by looking  at maintainers shipping video
(and webcam) related softwares in Debian. They may be more interested in
uvccapture and they are more likely to have hardware to test it.
--
No fortunes found