Re: RFS: opus, uuwaf

OoO Pendant le journal télévisé du samedi 17 mai 2008, vers 20:43, Colin
Turner <ct@piglets.com> disait:

> You're more or less correct. uuwaf itself provides an abstraction to the
> client handling of the database, allowing an easy method for multiple
> connections to potentially different types of servers as well as
> databases. We use a shared, fairly generic database for the preference
> system, and this is accessed from opus, using the client connection
> system in uuwaf itself.

> We will be moving various classes out of the apps into the framework as
> we consolidate it, so it is likely the client code will eventually move
> to uuwaf, and if so the client handling code would also move into that
> binary.

OK, therefore  ignore my  previous request about  merging. That  is fine
like you did. Sorry for losing your time on this.

> However, a more significant issue is that it's possible that a uuwaf
> hosted application will be accessing a database on a remote server, and
> that is why it only recommends: mysql-server, it would have to have a
> hard  dependency  on it  if  we  internally  packaged the  preferences
> database.

No,  dbconfig-common is  able  to  configure a  remote  database. It  is
however a low  priority debconf question so it does  not appear in usual
setups without additional steps.

But  this  is a  good  remark: you  should  depend  on mysql-client  and
recommend mysql-server in  uuwaf-preferences, not in uuwaf. mysql-client
is needed to let dbconfig-common configure the database.

Thanks.
--
Indent to show the logical structure of a program.