Re: RFS: opus, uuwaf

Hi Colin!

OoO  Peu avant  le début  de l'après-midi  du samedi  17 mai  2008, vers
13:43, Colin Turner <ct@piglets.com> disait:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "uuwaf" (see opus previously).

> * Package name    : uuwaf
>   Version         : 1.0.1-2
>   Upstream Author : Colin Turner <c.turner@ulster.ac.uk>
>             Gordon Crawford <g.crawford@ulster.ac.uk>
> * URL             : http://foss.ulster.ac.uk/projects/uuwaf/
> * License         : LGPL v4
>   Section         : web

LGPL v4  does not  exist ;-) But  your debian/copyright is  correct. You
might want to  add the path to LGPL license on  Debian systems (like you
did for GPLv2).

About changelog,  you should capitalize sentences and  don't leave blank
lines between each point.

In debian/control,  I think that  Vcs-Svn is waiting  for an URL,  not a
command. Just keep  svn://... You may want to just  depend on php5 which
already depends on what is needed.  You might want to keep php5-cli only
if your  package needs to launch  php in cron.d (for  example). It seems
this is not the case.

You should also add a debian/watch file.

I don't really understand why you  did split the package into two binary
packages. Why  not just put everything  in uuwaf? Why  would people only
install  uuwaf?   If  they   want  to  configure   database  themselves,
dbconfig-common will ask them about this.

> * Package name    : opus
>   Version         : 4.0.2-1
>   Upstream Author : Colin Turner <c.turner@ulster.ac.uk>
> * URL             : http://foss.ulster.ac.uk/projects/opus
> * License         : GPL v2
>   Section         : web

> It builds these binary packages:
> opus       - On-line Placement University System
> opus-doc   - On-line Placement University System Documentation

Same remarks  for changelog, control  and copyright. I suppose  that you
should keep php5-cli here because of cron.d entry.

You embed tinymce. This is considered a bad thing. You should try to use
Debian tinymce  and depends on it.  If you need tinymce  3, that's fine,
this is the one currently in Debian. If you need tinymce 2, I am working
on it with tinymce maintainers.

You   should    use   ucf   as    you   did   for   uuwaf    to   handle
debconf_config.php. This would allow the user to edit the file. Deleting
a  file in /etc  without advicing  the user  is considered  bad practice
(even if you put a warning at the top of the file).

I think that you should use invoke-rc.d to restart apache if needed:

                if [ -x /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d ]; then
                    invoke-rc.d $webserver restart
                else
                    /etc/init.d/$webserver restart
                fi

You  could  also  look  at  how  other  webapps  are  doing  (roundcube,
squirrelmail,  mediawiki,  [put your  favorite  web  app  here]; we  are
sharing a lot of snippet that should go into webapps-common).  You could
also look at the draft for packaging webapps:
 http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/

Note that  configuring old Apache  v1 may be considered  unwelcome since
Debian is not shipping Apache v1 any more. You may want to read this for
the rationale:

Since things are not settled, you  can also do nothing, your postinst is
fine too  but bt  asking on webapps-common,  you could get  answers from
people knowing more how to package web apps.

Since you can break the webserver configuration by using Alias directive
in  Apache configuration,  you should  leave it  commented. If  the user
wants to respect your alias, he will uncomment it.

You have a bogus postinst/postrm. It is better to remove them.

You might  want to contact debian-l10n-english  to proofread description
and debconf questions.  For debconf questions, this will  be done later,
you will save translator time by asking now.

About cookie  secret, I think that  you should generate  one randomly if
the user does not provide one. What happens if the field is left blank?

About opus-doc, you ship generated latex files:
 debian/opus-doc/usr/share/doc/opus-doc/docs/latex/opus_manual.ind
 debian/opus-doc/usr/share/doc/opus-doc/docs/latex/opus_manual.toc.gz

You should  not even put  source files into  this package. Just  put PDF
file.
--
printk("MASQUERADE: No route: Rusty's brain broke!\n");
        2.4.3. linux/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_MASQUERADE.c