Re: RFS: opus, uuwaf

OoO  En ce début  d'après-midi ensoleillé  du samedi  17 mai  2008, vers
15:53, Colin Turner <ct@piglets.com> disait:

>> I don't really understand why you  did split the package into two binary
>> packages. Why  not just put everything  in uuwaf? Why  would people only
>> install  uuwaf?   If  they   want  to  configure   database  themselves,
>> dbconfig-common will ask them about this.

> The reason is that some other applications we have depend upon the
> framework, but don't use the preferences system. For example, we have a
> system that brokers exchanges between our systems and the university
> infrastructure - via webservices, it has a very simple UI for testing
> and debugging, but doesn't use the preferences system.

Well, I  understand the purpose, but  from a Debian point  of view, this
package is  useless and  should be merged.  I understand that  this will
imply more work  for your internal work since you  will have to continue
to maintain privately separate packages.

Maybe someone  else may give another  point of view on  this problem, so
you may want to wait a bit if you want to keep this package.

>> Note that  configuring old Apache  v1 may be considered  unwelcome since
>> Debian is not shipping Apache v1 any more. You may want to read this for
>> the rationale:

> Ironically, my original packaging didn't support it and it was suggested
> by a friendly DD that I add it. I'm more than happy to remove it in
> fact, since my  userbase is likely to be mainly  fresh installs in any
> case.

As I said, I am not  convinced by the above argumentation. Therefore, it
is all up to you to decide on this issue.

>> Since you can break the webserver configuration by using Alias directive
>> in  Apache configuration,  you should  leave it  commented. If  the user
>> wants to respect your alias, he will uncomment it.

> That's a tricky one. I am fighting in a background where almost everyone
> wanting to install my app asks about doing it on Windows. I've explained
> that will be harder, and I recommend Debian as the "easy" solution. I've
> been gratified that several folks have installed Debian from scratch,
> and my unofficial packages with either no, or very little help.

> Problem is, some of these folks will seriously find dealing with these
> kinds of text files in an editor to be non-trivial, so it will reduce
> the people who will even bother. Opinions?

Again,  I  will not  fight  against  this.  Most packages  keep  aliases
commented in the  default installation but I don't see  this as a strong
requirement. It  is unlikely  that you break  anything by  shadowing but
just  note that  common practice  says  that Alias  should be  commented
out. For example:

>> You have a bogus postinst/postrm. It is better to remove them.

> I do? Both scripts seem to do important stuff to me, no?

debian/postinst and debian/postrm?
--
BOFH excuse #26:
first Saturday after first full moon in Winter