Re: RFS: figtoipe

On 17-May-08, 04:30 (CDT), Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
> [This message is about using Replaces without Conflicts]
>
> I am not sure  either. As you noted, the policy does  not say to not use
> it alone,  but this just seems odd  to me. Let's hope  that someone else
> will enlighten us on this matter.

While it doesn't apply to this specific case (in which a diversion
would seem to be the correct choice), here's how Rplaces and Conflicts
interact:

Package B "Replaces" package A: when B is installed, any files that are
also in A will be taken over by B, and removed from A's list of owned
files, so that if A is later removed, it won't delete the files that B
replaced. Non-conflicting files remain with package A.

Package B "Conflicts" with package A: dpkg will prevent you from
installing them at the same time.

Package B "Replaces" *and* "Conflicts" with package A: when B is
installed, any files that are also in A will be taken over by B, as in
the "Replaces" only case. In *addition*, any remaining files in A will
be *removed*, and package A will be considered removed from the system.

Regards,
Steve
--
Steve Greenland