Re: RFS: figtoipe

Hei,

> > I do not understand Replaces/Conflicts very well.
>
> You should. ;-)
>
> Conflicts  avoids that  your  package is  installed  along with  another
> package. Replaces allows  your package to replace files  from some other
> packages during upgrades.
>
> > Replaces: ipe (<< 6.0pre30-1)
> > Conflicts: ipe (<< 6.0pre30-1)
> > Recommends: netpbm, ipe

I am still a bit unsure whether the control file tells dpkg what I want.

I want it to say that figtoipe-20080505 can overwrite any figtoipe
version that had been included in ipe before 6.0pre30-1, but that any
version of ipe can still be kept installed along with the new figtoipe.
And that there is no overwriting of ipe files necessary if the ipe
package has version >= 6.0pre30-1. From section 7.5.1 of the debian
policy I now get the impression that my "Conflicts" was too much, so I
dropped it.

What is very confusing to me is how dpkg should know whether the package
is completely replaced or only a few files in it?

I made a new package with the same version number and duploaded it to
mentors.debian.net; also the lintian warnings have been fixed. I would
be happy if the package could be sponsored.

Best wishes,

Alexander