Re: RFS: fluid-soundfont -- Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:19 AM, tim hall <email@example.com> wrote:
> Please don't take my remarks personally, these are real questions. We've
> been campaigning / waiting for a suitable soundfont candidate for
> something like 5 years (CMIIW). FluidR3 is the obvious candidate, it is
> pretty ancient and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frank Wen has not
> kept records of all sample sources.
As I said, I will check with Frank about it. However, as you say, it
is likely he has not.
> I fully realise that the font has to be sufficiently free from the
> 'tentacles of evil' that users could edit it in Swami and use it as a
> basis for new distributable fonts and also use it in their compositions
> without fear of retribution. This font has been out in the wild for
> enough years, surely? OK, I know, assume nothing. So realistically, how
> should we approach this? What real chance is there of getting it into
> lenny / Hardy?
The chance to get it into Hardy is real. Please see the FeatureFreeze
Exception bug at .
> There are a couple of side issues here relating to recognition of
> mimetypes. Nautilus thinks that SF2 files are video/x-msvideo, causing
> it to wrongly assume they are some form of AVI and associate with Movie
> players rather than Swami / FluidSynth; and SFARK files as
> application/x-extension-sfArk or application/octet-stream (i.e.
> unknown/unsupported). I know how to deal with this as a user, it just
> would be good to set some reasonable defaults.
These can be fixed; let's concentrate on getting the package in.
> Toby, this is fantastic work. Thank you.
I'm as glad as you are :)
> I suggest that the package should be distributed by debian-multimedia /
> UbuntuStudio / 64 Studio initially to test the waters and someone
> sensible raise at least an ITP so that any license violations can be
> properly tracked using the BTS.
The ITP is filed at . As an Ubuntu Studio dev, I can say we are
keen to see this in the repositories, though we may not distribute it
on disc as it is so large.
> Please, please, please let's walk the extra mile for this package. How
> can I help? I'm not a DD either. Are we ever going to be able to
> distribute soundfonts? If not now, when?
We will, and we will start here.