Re: RFS: fluid-soundfont -- Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, tim hall wrote:
>  >> I have been burned by soundfonts before, does Frank Wen have a site or
>  >> somesuch, describing how he made the soundfount, where he got the
>  >> instruments, etc?
>  >
>  > I understand your concern, Henrique. However, the question still makes
>  > me want to punch something. Do we really have to nit-pick a hundred or
>  > more sets of samples to check whether each one is DFSG-free? Can we not
>  > accept the upstream author's license so long as it remains unchallenged?
>  > Would you subject a text font to such scrutiny?
>
>  Yes I would (and I do), but then, text fonts are MUCH easier.  Usually,
>  nobody goes around copying glyphs from here and there to make a frankenstein
>  :-)
>
>  I have tried to find more information on the FluidR3 soundfonts, and indeed
>  they are around since 2001.
>
>  I am *not* against its addition to Debian, but IMHO we should make at least
>  a token effort and ask the author if *he* has any reservations about it, and
>  also if he ever had any trouble over the issue.  If he doesn't, I suppose we
>  could add it.

He has been very, very willing and open about the whole deal. The
original release of FluidR3 on HammerSound does have some licensing
inconsistencies, which was why it was initially rejected from Hardy.
However, I have since caught up with Frank and had quite a chat with
him, and he's been very forthcoming. I will forward Henrique's message
to him, and have him check it over.

Toby