Re: RFS: gthumb (updated and adopted package)

Hi Ove,
(please don't CC me, I'm subscribed to the list)

Il giorno Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:27:55 +0100
Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no> ha scritto:

> David Paleino skrev:
>
> > Upstream's tarball provides a file, src/GNOME_GThumb.h, which is dynamically
> > generated during the build. Now, it happens that this file, at the end of
> > the build, is different from the provided one, and $(MAKE) distclean
> > deletes it.
>
> Does it *need* to exist before you start the build, or is it a
> completely autogenerated file? If the latter, you shouldn't have to do
> anything at all. Let distclean wipe it, it'll result in a clean .diff.gz.

It seems like is not needed:

$ svn rm src/GNOME_GThumb.h
D	src/GNOME_GThumb.h
$ svn status
M	debian/patches/series
M	debian/rules
D	src/GNOME_GThumb.h
$ svn-buildpackage ...
build command was successful; binaries are in /deb/rep/build-area/.
The changes file is: /deb/rep/build-area/gthumb_2.10.8-1_i386.changes
Binary packages:
 /deb/rep/build-area/gthumb_2.10.8-1_i386.deb /deb/rep/build-area/gthumb-data_2.10.8-1_all.deb
rm -rf /deb/rep/build-area/gthumb-2.10.8
$ svn status
M	debian/patches/series
M	debian/rules
D	src/GNOME_GThumb.h
$

but... read the following.

> > This gives a tarball different from the original one, thus having unmatching
> > md5sums.
>
> If it's a non-native package, the orig tarball doesn't change. If you're
> making a new tarball after building, you're doing something wrong.
> Pretty much any attempt to create the exact same tarball more than once
> is doomed to fail, if only because the timestamp will be different.

I'm not recreating the tarball. The first times I was making packages, my
sponsors told me that the result of "debuild clean" (or fakeroot debian/rules
clean) had to be the same as the original tarball unpacked + debian/. Is this
wrong? This is the real question: upstream provides that file, while at the end
of debian/rules clean I simply delete it, thus having different "tarballs" (in
a wider sense)

I hope you got my point.

Kindly,
David