Re: RFS: wicrawl

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 13:14 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:46:11 +0000
> David Newgas <david@newgas.net> wrote:
>
> > Ok, how about this:
>
> Umm, I meant programming language: C, C++, Python, Perl, etc.

Hehe.  The program itself is Perl, but it has plugins written from C,
perl and python.

> >   Language        : English only
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > wicrawl    - A wireless access point auditor
> >
> > Wicrawl is a simple wi-fi (802.11x) Access Point auditor with a simple
> > and flexible plugin architecture. The plugins allow us to find out
> > useful information about an AP so we don’t have to manually check each
> > access point.
>
> OK, so what is the advantage over existing methods of doing this, like
> wifi-radar and simple iwconfig commands?

Perhaps the description needs expanding ... the plugins handle things
like wep cracking, wpa bruteforcing, bypassing of payment-required
access points...
It's not designed to handle connecting to networks, more is a user
friendly way to test their security.

> > Plugins are implemented for existing common tools, and new
> > plugins can be written in any language. Wicrawl is able to use multiple
> > cards, and eventually will be able to use multiple computers.
>
> Not sure how useful this would be for most users. I don't know how many
> sysadmins care about multiple wireless connections to unknown AP's.
>
> Thanks for the long description, it answers a lot of questions. If you
> can answer the other questions above, I'd be willing to review it in
> more detail (subject to the programming language not being python).

That would be fantastic.  Only one portion of it (the "apwebcrack"
plugin) is written in python, so I don't know if you still feel like it.

> http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#lang

Having read through the rest of this doc, I also noticed I missed the
Homepage: field.  I changed this, and others things (all documented in
changelog) As per your suggested course of action, I uploading it to
mentors as 0.4a-2.

Cheers,

David