Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:32:21PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:24:13PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> > Because the vast bulk of users do *not* roll their own kernels [yes, an
> > assumption, but I'm pretty confident here :)].
> >
> I disagree.  I think that while it is not the majority, a sizeable
> portion of the user base installs a home-rolled kernel.

Could you stop that hand of yours from waving around quite so much?  Unless
you can provide some reasonably respectable numbers to support your
position, you're arguing about dancing angels.

> Now, I find out about your package and install it.  Every indication
> from aptitude is that everything installs OK.  Now, I try and use your
> package and it *doesn't* work because I am not running the kernel it
> depends on.
>
> What would I do at that point?  Personally, without any further
> documentation or information available, I'd file a bug.

This would be why the init script would, when it determined that you were
running an incompatible kernel, would spit out a helpful error message.

- Matt