Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 01:48:57PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> > Yes.  But enough people build non-packaged kernels that it is not really
> > fair to exclude them.  Add to that the fact that the presence of a
> > particular kernel image package in no way guarantees that it is that
> > particular kernel that is running, and you it is plain that it is not
> > necessary to depend on a particular kernel.
>
> This is true, and irrelevant: the presence of a packaged library version
> does not in any way guarantee that the files from that will be the ones
> picked up by the runtime loader, and so on and so forth for executables,
> dynamic language modules, images etc.

It is quite relevant.  If someone installs a library package and then
changes the files, that is their own problem.  You can also in many
cases have multiple versions of a library available and have them all be
usable simultaneously.  With a kernel, you boot A and kernel B is no
longer running or accessible.  You boot B and A is no longer running or
accessible.  By accessible, I mean for runtime use.

This is not true of a library.

Regards,

-Roberto

--