Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 22:15 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Right.  But depending on a particular kernel image is an artificial
> limitation.  If I roll my own kernel without using Debian tools (which
> is a fairly common practice), why should I have to work around your
> package's dependencies to get it installed?  Simply document what is
> necessary in the way of kernel support and let me sort it out.

Because the vast bulk of users do *not* roll their own kernels [yes, an
assumption, but I'm pretty confident here :)].

Not having any dependency meta-data down to the kernel layer *when there
is an actual dependency* makes life harder for the majority of users,
and I think its acceptable for you to have a minor inconvenience when
you want to install an unpackaged kernel *and* remove all packaged
kernels that would meet the dependencies in order to make life much
easier for all those users that do not roll their own kernel.

-Rob