Re: Bad practice to make a package depend on a specific kernel image

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 01:33:34PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> Its not -required- that any of the software on a machine be packaged.
> Users can (gasp) build and run their own $software - e.g. squid, apache,
> whatever.
>
> But - we cannot expect the packaging system to ensure that requirements
> are met for *any* unpackaged software.
>
> I think its a fair and proper assumption that the stack of software is
> all packaged: its very easy to build a packaged, vanilla kernel - and
> doing so can generate appropriate information for dpkg.

Yes.  But enough people build non-packaged kernels that it is not really
fair to exclude them.  Add to that the fact that the presence of a
particular kernel image package in no way guarantees that it is that
particular kernel that is running, and you it is plain that it is not
necessary to depend on a particular kernel.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez