Re: RFS: daloradius (updated package)

Hey Richard,

After my last email to Neil and the mailing list I have
found the following link: http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/index.html
Which is actually the whole essence of this conversation, it would have
been suffice to simply let me know about this webapps documentation
which I would have gone through and create the package accordingly
(or at least attempt to) but for some reason which I really, honestly, don't understand Neil hasn't done that. I don't know why not, I do not judge
people, but it does bother me on some level that someone whose suppose
to be a Mentor has taken such a lot of effort to discourage me from
building a package (whatever it may be) and to explicitly ban it from
Debian.

As you have mentioned Richard, I have no expectations from anyone to build
the package for me but I do expect to find people here with a little bit more
knowledge than I have on Debian and someone replying "read the webapps
documentation on http://..." would have been more than enough instead of
starting a debate about the security issues of PHP.

I don't know Neil, he's probably a good guy but you really can't argue with a persons' feelings, and I feel that the direction which Neil has taken this conversation has gone way out of proportion.

In the meanwhile have a Merry Christmas
and a happy New Year.

Regards,
Liran.

On Dec 27, 2007 3:49 PM, <gr8birds@qnet.com > wrote:
Quoting liran tal < liransgarage@gmail.com>:

> Hey Neil,
>
> On Dec 26, 2007 5:55 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > i.e . the problem lies within the package itself because it is an
> > intrinsically difficult package to build properly and you would be best
> > advised finding something else when you are only just starting out as
> > maintainer. PHP is a nightmare for security problems and packaging
> > problems. What I say to you is what I would say to anyone reading the NM
> > guide for the first time - *don't start with PHP*! (Don't start with a
> > compiled library either, they are complex in entirely different ways.)
> > The NM guide does mention that libraries are not a wise choice for your
> > first package but as it happened, I didn't get the chance of my own
> > advice because when I started NM, I was already upstream for a library
> > in Debian that needed an update. ;-) So learn from my mistakes and don't
> > do things the hard way.
> >

> Uhm, it seems to me that the daloradius package is actually as easy
> as it can be. It's just a bunch of .php and other related web application
> scripts which should simply be copied to /usr/share.
> There's no compilation, no updating of libraries and nothing that would
> seem to be complicated... Maybe I'm missing something but as I see it,
> the "package" should simply unpack the web application files into a
> directory
> and that's it.

Well you obviously could not see the problems other people already pointed
out.  Maybe it is time for you to question what "seems" correct to you.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some people will decline this burden even if you say "Please."

..<snip>...

> I can't leave it alone Neil, it's my baby :-)

Then the burden rests with you.  It makes no sense to expect others to
serve up the answers on a golden platter.  You better be willing to dig
into the documentation. A RTFM response will suffice and it is up to you
to find where the documentation describes it.

Richard