Re: RFS: gthumb (updated and adopted package)

Le dimanche 30 décembre 2007 à 08:50 +0100, David Paleino a écrit :
> Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:32:20 +0100
> Julien Valroff <julien@kirya.net> ha scritto:
>
> > > I have built the new release, but still an issue with libgthumb.so -
> > > gthumb can't find the library:
> > > $ ldd /usr/bin/gthumb | grep "not found"
> > > 	libgthumb.so => not found
> > >
> > > I attach the build log as there are many related Lintian warnings/errors
> >                            s/Lintian/dpkg-shlibdeps/ ^^
>
> Those warnings are because dpkg-shlibdeps sees many "unneeded" linkings. If I'm
> not wrong, there is a discussion on debian-devel about adding "-Wl,--as-needed"
> to LDFLAGS to avoid those warnings [1].

I mainly refer to the warnings refering to "missing" libgthumb.so as you
have noticed below.

> However, on my system:
>
> $ ldd /usr/bin/gthumb | grep libgthumb
> 	libgthumb.so => /usr/lib/gthumb/libgthumb.so (0xb7ef9000)
>
> Are you sure you have the right package? What does
>
> $ dpkg -c package.deb | grep libgthumb
>
> return? Is libgthumb.so still a symlink?
No, it is in /usr/lib/gthumb/libgthumb.so

> About the buildlog youo attached: at line 2527, libgthumb.so gets correctly
> installed into the tmp/ directory:
>
> /usr/bin/install
> -c .libs/libgthumb.so /tmp/gthumb-2.10.7/debian/tmp/usr/lib/gthumb/libgthumb.so
>
> This might be indicative though:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: couldn't find library libgthumb.so needed by
> debian/gthumb/usr/lib/gthumb/gthumb/modules/libduplicates.so (its RPATH is '').
> Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any
> shlibs file. To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to
> set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> and similarly for other libraries (happens also for me).
>
> So, we said that the shlibs file is useless, dpkg here suggests that it only
> searches into shlibs-providing packages. Should I make a
> symlink /usr/lib/libgthumb.so pointing to the real .so, and override "package
> name doesn't match SONAME" warnings, or...?

Creating a symlink in /usr/lib does work:
$ ldd /usr/bin/gthumb | grep libgthumb
	libgthumb.so => /usr/lib/libgthumb.so (0x00002b6e5c45a000)

That's what was done by the previous maintainer. I am not sure it is the
right thing to do.

What I don't understand is why it works for you and not for me.
Don't you have a ligthumb.so file remaining in /usr/lib from a previous
installation?

> I've just rebuilt the package, and libgthumb.so is correctly placed
> into /usr/lib/gthumb/. And, again:

It is well installed now, but gthumb cannot find it in /usr/lib/gthumb

> So, I guess, is it probably a amd64-related/specific problem?

Again, I am not an expert but I wouldn't understand why.
The only particularity I am aware of is:
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
stating:
# Multiarch support
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu