Re: RFS: daloradius (updated package)

liran tal wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.9.5-2
> of my package "daloradius".

This is (at least) the second time you have posted this package to the list
and not corrected serious problems. As Romain Beauxis previously pointed out,
this is rather annoying. I'm still spotting a number of problems I sent to
you in September.

Please, Liran, you must either attempt to fix some of these problems (we will
gladly help) or you should reply to this message justifying them.

As it stands, the package does not just exhibit poor "style"; it simply does
not install any Daloradius files, and you cannot expect it to be sponsored
as-is.

 * Wrong 'Architecture:' in debian/control

 * Incorrect spacing and indentation of description in debian/control

 * Incorrect punctuation/layout in debian/control Description

 * Missing Homepage: line in debian/control

 * Missing ITP number from debian/changelog

 * "Old" debhelper debian/compat compatibility number

 * Setting 'apache' and 'php' as "Depends:" is probably not what you want

 * Freeradius should probably not be a 'Suggests':

 * Why does it create a database called 'radius'? Why can't this be the same
   name of your package? Why do you have to create it at all?

 * Lots of pointless and incorrect stuff in debian/rules. For example,
   CFLAGS, dh_strip, etc.

 * Documentation in /usr/share/daloradius (eg. FAQS, etc.)

In addition:

 * The package simply does not work - no files are installed.

     % dpkg -c daloradius_0.9.5-2_amd64.deb
     drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-12-25 20:55 ./
     drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-12-25 20:55 ./usr/
     drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-12-25 20:55 ./usr/share/
     drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-12-25 20:55 ./usr/share/doc/
     drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-12-25 20:55
                                                  ./usr/share/doc/daloradius/
     -rw-r--r-- root/root       177 2007-12-25 20:42
                               ./usr/share/doc/daloradius/changelog.Debian.gz
     -rw-r--r-- root/root       507 2007-12-25 20:42
                                         ./usr/share/doc/daloradius/copyright

 * Out-of-date Standards-Version in debian/control

 * Extraneous whitespace on end of lines in debian/control and
   debian/copyright

 * Maintainer scripts are using `read`. You should use Debconf to ask users
   questions like this. It has many, many benefits over `read'.

 * Maintainer scripts (debian/{postinst,postrm,preinst}) seem to have lines
   like the followiung:

     echo "**** postrm script *****"
     echo "**** preinst " "$*" "is performing ****"
     echo "**** postinst " "$*" "is performing ****"

   These are rather unneccessary (and possibly against policy, or at least
   recommended against, I can't remember)

Regards,

--
Chris Lamb, UK                                       chris@chris-lamb.co.uk