Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> (28/10/2007):
> This list is GREAT because people are giving advice even for the most
> stupid questions. I think that everybody has the rights to learn, I
> really hate that kind of behaviour I could see with some on IRC putting
> disgrace on learners (maybe just to pretend to be better than others?).

See my last paragraph.

> 2 years ago I was creating my package by building a tree of files, and
> then calling directly dpkg-deb --build

I'm not sure the New Maintainer guide mentions it. Didn't you read it
first?

> since then, I can build an (almost) perfect (simple) package within an
> hour.

Is dtc considered an (almost) perfect (simple) package from your point
of view?

> The learning curve is quite long, and I still have so many things to
> learn.

Sure, but that's not the point, see below.

> That vote system goes totally on the opposite direction, and
> blacklisting or discouraging people that are trying to learn is really
> not a good thing, IMHO.

There are people clearly not willing to fix problems. And not willing to
learn. I've seen “there're still errors, but that's OK with me, feel
free to fix them before uploading” [1].

I've seen people blaming people submitting patches for RC bugs, instead
of being a little thankful.

I've seen people wanting to (tentatively) hijack packages because the
maintainer didn't want to push a more-buggy-than-the-present-one new
upstream release.

I've seen people doing all the above at the same time. And that's
definitely not what I consider being “trying to learn”. I don't know
about you, but I'd like to avoid such maintainers, be them Debian
Developers, Debian Maintainers, New Maintainer applicants, or occasional
Maintainers. And again, that's not about bashing newbies, see the
previous list.

--
Cyril Brulebois

Footnotes:

 1. The exact quote is “I don't understand why, please ignore it or fix
    it by yourself”.