Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:11:06PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 26/10/07 at 11:42 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
It's time for me to introduct svnbuildstat.d.n :).
I began to work on svnbuildstat 1,5 year ago. We, the Debian Games Team,
saw the number of packages in our repository constently growing up (170
today). We were about 10 actives maintainers and it was had to find the
packages to take care on.

The initial release was based on a collection of shell script and
pbuilder. The builds were done directly on my server. But there were
some problems:
* The tool was designed to fetch information from just one svn repository
* They was no database and doing statistic stuff without a DB sucks big
* time!
* The shell scripts were hard to maintain
* Resource expensive stuff were done directly on the webserver (the
build, lintian, linda, piuparts)

Some mouths after I rewrote from scratch what is the current
svnbuildstat.d.n. This time it's based on a real database and a modern
MVC framework. It's definitivly a better solution. I used :
* Perl;
* Catalyst, a MVC framework;
* DBIx::Class a DB abstaction layer like Hebernate;
* PostgreSQL (the DB is about 500MB today)
* a collection of perl scripts to retrieve the different informations
* a client/server model for the build/lintian/linda/piuparts. Just a
* status file is returned to the server at the end of the process.

Today, I'm working these point:
* The agent does too much stuff, I want to split it to have one agent
* per service (build, lintian, ...). Today, if I want to change the
* lintian revision, I've to update of the build host and one of them is
* behind a firewall.
* Ondrej Certik is working on a patch for pbuilder to detect the "no
  space on device" errors. it's most of the false positive.
* The DB schema needs some clean up. I already did most of them (I
  wish:)).
* being able to accept other sources of packages. I want to be able to
  retrive information for the rest of the VCS used in Debian but also
  from a pool of packages like mentors.debian.net or ftp.debian.org
* RPC services.
* Thanks to Ondrek Certif, svnbuildstat has a tutorial now on wiki.d.o
  but there is still a lot to do here
* I want to get another server. Mine is a bit to slow.

I think, svnbp should be (one day*) used as backend for http://mentors.debian.net/
but also for Lucas's QA check.

*Like most of yours, I've a family, packages and softwares to maintain and a
job. To be honest, it's hard for me the give a clear planning.

The sources:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-qa/svnbuildstat/?rev=0&sc=0
The wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/svnbuildstat