Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> (28/10/2007):
>> With that, what you will see is that maintainers that have lots of
>> friends, or that are maintaining famous packages, will get a high
>> score.
>
> The opposite is true too. Infamous wannabe-maintainers could get
> blacklisted or so. Unsure how bad that would be.

This list is GREAT because people are giving advice even for the most
stupid questions. I think that everybody has the rights to learn, I
really hate that kind of behaviour I could see with some on IRC putting
disgrace on learners (maybe just to pretend to be better than others?).
They'd better just shut up if they don't feel they want to help.

2 years ago I was creating my package by building a tree of files, and
then calling directly dpkg-deb --build, since then, I can build an
(almost) perfect (simple) package within an hour. I got discouraged many
times, but when I found some of the people here so nice and helpful, I
could learn so much. The learning curve is quite long, and I still have
so many things to learn.

That vote system goes totally on the opposite direction, and
blacklisting or discouraging people that are trying to learn is really
not a good thing, IMHO.

Thomas