Re: RFS: nted

> > It starts and it's a nice program, thanks. I use lilypond though,
> > together with lilicomp, but this is also nice. Taking into account
> > that nted cannot play on my computer by default (see below), I think
> > it should start even without "modprobe snd_seq". I think programs
> > should work out of the box with no setup (just apt-get install nted).
> > And users who want more (like if you want a hardware midi), should
> > have a way how to set it up (in this case "modprobe snd_seq"  plus
> > some more advanced alsa setup, that I don't even know, I didn't get it
> > to work on my comp).
>
> Well... I agree that NtEd, as a score editor, should be able to run
> without a midi sequencer. The sequencer would be required only to play
> the scores. I'll ask upstream about that.

Thanks.

> Anyway, IMHO, it's not packaging related and shouldn't block the upload
> of the package.

I think it should be mentioned in the README.Debian, together with
exact steps, how to get it work (basically what you just wrote in the
email). But I am not a sponsor, I am just saying what I like as a
Debian user.

> >> NtEd can play the scores via midi.
> >
> > It is supposed to, but it doesn't on my computer by default (I
> > probably need some setup of alsa, but everything else works, sound
> > works fine, but not the hardware midi). When I hit the play button,
> > nothing comes out.

> >> If you try timidity as an ALSA sequencer client (-iA) it will require
> >> the /dev/snd/seq device too.
> >
> > I tried that and it's true that
> >
> > timidity -iA peccantem.midi
> >
> > doesn't work without "sudo modprobe snd_seq", but it doesn't work with
> > it neither:
> >
> > $ timidity -iA peccantem.midi
> [snip]
> > TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
> > Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
> >
> > and nothing comes out.
>
> It's because with -iA timidity starts in server mode. The -iA option is
> used when timidity is started as a service, via /etc/init.d/timidity.
> Set TIM_ALSASEQ=true in /etc/default/timidity then start the daemon:
> # invoke-rc.d timidity start

I had that setup already. And timidity -iA prints the output above and
doesn't play. timidity without -iA plays nice.

> Then you can play midi files with any midi player (not only timidity)
> through the ALSA sequencer.
> For NtEd, you'll have to set the Configure MIDI dialog to use a timidity
> port (e.g. 128:0) to hear something.

Changing the port from 14:0 to 128:0 made nted play the scores - wow,
it's very nice, it plays the tone everytime I put a new note in.

Ondrej