Re: RFS: nted

Ondrej Certik a écrit :
NtEd requires the ALSA sequencer device (/dev/snd/seq). Just load the
snd_seq module (modprobe snd_seq) and NtEd shouldn't complain anymore.

It starts and it's a nice program, thanks. I use lilypond though,
together with lilicomp, but this is also nice. Taking into account
that nted cannot play on my computer by default (see below), I think
it should start even without "modprobe snd_seq". I think programs
should work out of the box with no setup (just apt-get install nted).
And users who want more (like if you want a hardware midi), should
have a way how to set it up (in this case "modprobe snd_seq"  plus
some more advanced alsa setup, that I don't even know, I didn't get it
to work on my comp).

Well... I agree that NtEd, as a score editor, should be able to run without a midi sequencer. The sequencer would be required only to play the scores. I'll ask upstream about that. Anyway, IMHO, it's not packaging related and shouldn't block the upload of the package.

I believe it should be working, it's a note editing program, not a player right?
NtEd can play the scores via midi.

It is supposed to, but it doesn't on my computer by default (I
probably need some setup of alsa, but everything else works, sound
works fine, but not the hardware midi). When I hit the play button,
nothing comes out.

BTW, timidity file.midi works nice on my system, so nted should be too imho.
If you try timidity as an ALSA sequencer client (-iA) it will require
the /dev/snd/seq device too.

I tried that and it's true that

timidity -iA peccantem.midi

doesn't work without "sudo modprobe snd_seq", but it doesn't work with
it neither:

$ timidity -iA peccantem.midi
[snip]
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3

and nothing comes out.

It's because with -iA timidity starts in server mode. The -iA option is used when timidity is started as a service, via /etc/init.d/timidity. Set TIM_ALSASEQ=true in /etc/default/timidity then start the daemon:
# invoke-rc.d timidity start

Then you can play midi files with any midi player (not only timidity) through the ALSA sequencer. For NtEd, you'll have to set the Configure MIDI dialog to use a timidity port (e.g. 128:0) to hear something.

Ondrej

Regards,

--
_gilles.