Re: RFS: tesseract (updated package), third time lucky, I hope

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:13:32PM +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> On 25/09/2007, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
> > Why are the include files packages in /usr/include/tesseract? Sounds
> > like that should rather go into a tesseract-ocr-dev package. Or is it
> > really needed to run tesseract?
>
> I must admit that I am fairly inexperienced at packaging

Don't worry.

> and I more or less used the v1 diff as a template and just made mods
> to get it lintian clean. I see your point, though. I assume it is
> possible simultaneously to make the -ocr and -ocr-dev packages, just
> defining which files go in which package. I thought defining .install
> files would do the trick, but I am having no luck. Would you mind
> giving me some pointers?

You would need to remove the debian/tmp/usr/include files or just run
'make' instead of 'make install' and copy the files manually.

> > Regarding the language packages: what do they need autoconfig files
> > (config.guess, config.sub) for?
>
> Which autoconfig files? I don't see these.

zcat tesseract-deu_2.00-1.diff.gz | grep ^--

Looks like remains from the default debian/rules template.

> > IMHO the description of the language packages doesn't sound english
> > enough (although I'm not an englishman either). Perhaps instead of
> > "tesseract-ocr data for German" you could use something along
> > "Data files to make tesseract recognize german images"?
>
> I am English, but I am prepared to change it. How about "tesseract-ocr
> language files for German text"?

Great.

Kindly
 Christoph
--
Peer review means that you can feel better because someone else
missed the problem, too.