Re: RFS: php-text-password

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:00:18 -0700
Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@kinias.org> wrote:

> I made a post earlier this evening encouraging Neil to let us know what
> he views as the major `this pisses me off' errors people make in putting
> together RFSes, and it appears that this is one of them.  Neil's belief
> AFAICT is that a would-be sponsor should not have to look at the package
> page on mentors.d.n -- which means that bugs you close must be specified
> explicitly in the RFS e-mail (including, then, obviously, the ITP).

The RFS should include sufficient information for a sponsor to make a
sensible decision about whether to start looking into the package based
solely on the content of the RFS itself. That includes all relevant bug
numbers, explanations to clarify if this is a new package or an
existing package, whether it has been previously sponsored and
clarifications like including the long description, providing some
information about how this package relates to a package like it that
already exists, the benefits of X vs Y and so on.

<I need input!>

> Neil, is that accurate statement, that your perspective is that a
> would-be sponsor should not be expected to look at the package page on
> mentors.d.n, and so any relevant information there should be repeated in
> the RFS?

The sponsor should be able to decide whether to invest time in the
package based on the RFS and without having to go to external sources
for every single package.

When a sponsor is scanning the list, the maintainer should make
sufficient information available in the RFS that the sponsor can make a
decision about whether to look at that package or move on to the next
one.

The RFS is all I have to decide whether to review the package and I
won't go to external sources until I've made the decision that the
package is worth reviewing - I simply don't have time. When that
happens, the reply is retitled to ITR: (Intend to Review) before ITS
(Intend to Sponsor). The more relevant information that exists in the
RFS, the more likely the package is to get to ITR. The less information
that exists in the RFS, the more likely the package will raise a series
of criticisms and problems, giving more reasons for a sponsor to be
concerned that there are hidden gotchas around the corner.

IMHO, over 90% of previously unsponsored packages involved in an RFS
are not good enough to be included in Debian as-is. Reviewing a package
for sponsoring takes a significant amount of time and if I am going to
invest that time, I have to be careful about which packages I choose to
review. To make those choices, I need information and I only have time
to read the RFS so the information must be in the RFS or your request
will simply be ignored.

> Would it be helpful if we recommended that for package updates the
> latest changelog entry be included as well?

No, I don't think that would usually be helpful. If there are reasons
for including it with a specific package (e.g. an orphaned package
where the RFS is linked to an ITA), fine, but it isn't relevant for
many packages - especially packages that are new to Debian.

> Mark, I'm hoping we can put together a list of things like this to put
> on the Web site so that we can have clearer guidelines for prospective
> sponsees to know what's expected...

There does need to be something that maintainers can read PRIOR to
composing the RFS but my sponsorship requirements are linked from
mentors.debian.net. (I'll add some more content and update a few
sections on that later.)

http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#sponsor
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

" Your message to -mentors is like an ad for your package. It's likely
to be the only thing that prospective sponsors will judge your package
on. You can have all the extra URLs you like in there where sponsors
can get more information, but unless your initial message piques their
interest, they'll never look at them.

So, tell us what exactly your package does, and why it should be in
Debian. If there is already a program that does a similar thing, say
why your one is better. Put a little "hot spice" in there to hold
people's interest. in other words, think like an advertising executive.
Just remember to wash the slime off afterward. "

The main mistake made in RFS emails is a lack of information. The bare
template is inadequate 99.9% of the time but the template cannot cover
all the possible elements required for a useful RFS. Think about the
RFS and err on the side of adding more information than less.

I am *much* more likely to ignore an RFS that does not include
sufficient information in the RFS itself.

Sponsors don't have time to follow every link from every RFS email,
inspect the mailing list archives for every single ITP or read the
upstream webpage JUST to make the decision about whether to look at a
particular package vs the next one on the list.

Note well the statement in the FAQ:
"You can have all the extra URLs you like in there where sponsors
can get more information, but unless your initial message piques their
interest, they'll never look at them."

This is the basic problem - too many maintainers are ignoring this
section of the FAQ. I just try to ensure that the maintainer at least
gets a REASON why I am ignoring their RFS.

--

Neil Williams