Re: FSF old address in coyright statements

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:55:38 +0200
Cyril Brulebois <cyril.brulebois@enst-bretagne.fr> wrote:

> Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> (18/08/2007):
> > My upstream's copyright statements in source files contain the old FSF
> > mailing address. I will contact them about this problem but, while
> > they react should I
> >
> > a) Faithfully reproduce their copyright statement in the package's
> > debian/copyright and give wrong information to users, or
> >
> > b) Use the current address, at the cost of not using upstream's
> > licence statement verbatim.
>
> b)

I agree. debian/copyright should use the current FSF address.

A useful tool in this situation is 'licencecheck -r .' - part of the
devscripts package.

Thankfully, with GPL v3, the mailing address has been replaced by a URL
so this problem will only persist for code that does not migrate.

(Just uploading my first GPL v3 package - first as in my own upstream.)

BTW: the entire GPLv3 licence needs to be included in debian/copyright
until such time as it appears in /usr/share/common-licences and it's
quite a bloat - it adds 10k to the download size of my packages! When
the entire package is only 44kb, it's a bit annoying.
:-(

--

Neil Williams