Re: RFS: logapp

Cyril Brulebois <cyril.brulebois@enst-bretagne.fr> writes:

> I guess you didn't check the status of the RFC you quoted. From [1]
> you would have learnt that RFC 1738 is obsoleted by RFC 3986[2],
> which states:
>
> ,---
> |
> | Using <> angle brackets around each URI is especially recommended
> | as a delimiting style for a reference that contains embedded
> | whitespace.
> |
> | The prefix "URL:" (with or without a trailing space) was formerly
> | recommended as a way to help distinguish a URI from other
> | bracketed designators, though it is not commonly used in practice
> | and is no longer recommended.
> |
> `---

:-(

It's a shame they're no longer recommending it, since the reasons ("to
help distinguish a URI from other bracketed designators") are just as
valid, and "is not commonly used in practice" is not a criterion for
avoiding a recommendation in an RFC.

You're quite right that the status of that recommendation has changed,
so I'm wrong in my earlier assertions. Thanks for correcting me.

--
 \               "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more |
  `\      complex... It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage |