Re: Man pages and UTF-8

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> The current Debian groff can produce UTF-8 output only for a narrow
> range of characters, ones which happen to be present in 8 bit charsets.
> It cannot handle UTF-8 input at all; on the other hand, Red Hat's
> version seem to be working just fine.

Yeah, I wonder if those were the UTF-8 patches that upstream rejected a
while back for reasons that I didn't entirely follow.

Okay, your analysis matches what I thought was going on.  However, David
Given seems to be seeing something else where some man pages are already
encoded in UTF-8.  So I guess I'm confused as to what's going on and what
the current status is.

If our groff really can handle UTF-8 input and is doing so for some
locales, I'd love to declare all regular man pages are in UTF-8 and be
done with it; that's a change that we can probably make without backward
compatibility issues right now, since currently those code points are
disallowed.

I'd love to see this dealt with for lenny.  I just don't know how
realistic that is.