Re: debian files in sourceforge cvs

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:07:17AM -0300, Tiago Saboga wrote:
> I am working closely with upstream devs, and I am willing to manage
> the debian files in the same sourceforge cvs. I understand that the
> upstream tarball should not contain the debian files; OTOH,
> sourceforge asks that all files in cvs should be released (and I
> understand them too, it's free software).

Ignore SourceForge, for they know not what they say.  There's shedloads of
files in your CVS thee you don't want ending up in your released tarballs --
your test suite, for one.  Just drop the debian/ dir from your release
tarballs and let everyone be happy.

> in debian wiki and in this list's archives and I have not found a tip
> as to what is the best way to address both sides preferences.

Ignore SourceForge.  If they get snippy, tell 'em to talk to me.  <grin>

> I thought about making a separate release just for the debian files,
> making clear that the files in debian archive should be used instead,
> but it's a little ugly, isn't it?

It's a whole world of ugly.  The only people who want the debian/ directory
in their tarballs are the few people at this time who can't get it from
Debian and who desperately want a package they can install.  Other distros
don't want it, Debian itself doesn't want it, people who install from
tarballs don't want it.  If you *really* want to include those people, make
a Debian source package (.dsc, .diff.gz) and ship that until the package
gets into Debian proper.

- Matt