Re: RFS: peless -- dh_helper

Hi Damyan

I probably right now have understood what is going on...

Damyan Ivanov ha scritto:
> -=| Paul Elliott, Fri, 25 May 2007 11:32:02 -0500 |=-
>> OK, but first let me understand what I am fixing. What is wrong
>> with "make install" as it is? There is also a "make install-strip".
>> I did not do anything special to create these targets; auto* tools
>> created them. What exactly is wrong with "make install"? Thank you.
>
> As far as I understand, Giorgio's concerns were that a plain "make
> install" strips the debug information from the binaries installed.
>
> However, I can't confirm this:
> $ file debian/peless/usr/bin/peless
> debian/peless/usr/bin/peless: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64,
> version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.1, dynamically linked (uses shared
> libs), not stripped
>
> (this is after changing debian/rules to use "make install" and break
> right after it)
>
> So, Giorgio, it seems perfectly safe to use "make install", no?

Effectively is not stripping by default (as often happens) and the
option present in the makefile called install-strip is also not
stripping as compiling and then installing with make install-strip gives
a package that has exactly the same dimension as the package with the
normal make install.

So you are right, it is safe to leave it as is since is not stripped at
all and I can set up the original make install.

BTW: I uploaded the improved package right now if you want to take a
look at:

http://web.ticino.com/gfwp/debian/peless-1.108/peless_1.108-1.dsc

Feel free to tell me your opinion about it!

cheers

Giorgio