Re: RFS: peless -- GTK Text browser

-=| Giorgio Pioda, Thu, 24 May 2007 11:33:09 +0200 |=-
> Hi Damyan and Paul
> Damyan Ivanov ha scritto:
> > Good. Giorgio, since you don't use "make install", this file does
> > not get installed. Is there a reason to prefer debian/install over
> > "make install"? Either way, please include the .desktop file in the
> > final .deb
>
> The reason is the 10.1 policy; I tried to set up nostrip versions for
> debugging with the original "make install" but it doesn't work
> properly so I switched to dh_istall and dh_strip.

Hm. 10.1 contains only recommendations about the mater. Following
them is no excuse for breaking other things ;-)

If I were you, I'd try to make "make install" not strip anything,
patching if necessary[1]. The problem with dh_install approach is that
you have to check carefully if there is something new to install every
now and then, which leads to problems (as already seen).

[1] The smoothest approach is to make stripping in "make install"
optional, defaulting to "do strip". This way, simple "make install"
works as before, but when given special option (or environment
variable) it does not strip. This patch would be easier to push
upstream.