Re: RFS: lastfm (updated package)

* John Stamp [Tue, 01 May 2007 15:33:30 -0700]:

Hi again, John. I've uploaded the package.

For the next upload, there are some minor issues I'd like you to
consider:

  * remove "This file will be overwritten on upgrade" from lastfm.js

  * install lastfm.desktop to /usr/share/applications instead of
    /usr/share/applications/kde. I believe this way lastfm will appear
    in the GNOME menu as well.

  * since lastfm.mozilla is not meant to be called directly by the user,
    put it under /usr/lib/lastfm, and adjust lastfm.js accordingly, and
    remove lastfm.mozilla.1. This is recommended/mandated by Policy.

  * maybe s/unstable/UNRELEASED/ in those changelog entries that never
    got uploaded to the official archive.

> Actually, this brings up a related question.  The source is labelled
> 1.1.3 but Help|About reports version 1.1.3.0.  I decided to follow
> the version number that Help|About reports.  Does that seem correct
> to you?

Yeah; either would be fine, IMO.

> >   * the install target in rules could be very simplified with a
> >     debian/last.fm file. I don't mind uploading in the current
> > form, but I suggest you give it a go.

> Can you point me to a description of that?  I'm not sure how it would
> work in this situation.

The canonical reference would be dh_install(1), and you can check any
package in the archive: most use dh_install. As a brief summary, a
debian/$package.install file contains a number of lines, each with a
file to install (or a wildcard), followed by an optional destination of
the file. The single thing dh_install can't do is renaming file. So, for
example:

-------8<-------------
debian/lastfm.mozilla           /usr/bin
bin/libLastFMTools.so.1*        /usr/lib
bin/extensions                  /usr/lib/lastfm
bin/services                    /usr/lib/lastfm
i18n/*.qm                       /usr/lib/lastfm/i18n
bin/data/about_generic.png      /usr/share/pixmaps/lastfm

With that, also the debian/dirs is mostly unnecessary, since needed
directories are created by dh_install.

HTH, cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Te has enfadado conmigo / porque te dejo / Es injusto
No quieres volver a verme / porque no quiero / que estemos juntos
Estás siendo egoísta / no has penseado que me quedo / solo yo también
                -- Astrud, Caridad