Re: RFS: lastfm (updated package)

* John Stamp [Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:57:33 -0700]:

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1:1.1.3.0-1 of the
> package "lastfm".  I am taking over maintainership of the package
> with the current maintainer's permission.

Hi John.

I had a look at your lastfm package. In general looks good, and I can
uploaded after you've addressed a couple of issues.

> This version incorporates the msk patchset which Alberto Garcia and I
> have been working on here:
>   http://mehercule.net/staticpages/index.php/lastfm
> It uses a new alsa plugin with dmix support, and incorporates various
> bugfixes and features.  Upstream plans to use several of these in a
> future version of the client.

This is the first issue: the package contains a lots of patches. I'm
glad to hear that you're somehow in contact with upstream about
including them, and I'm not going to suggest to wait until then: you two
seem to know what you're doing.

However, I'd recommend that you include at the end of the description of
the package something like:

  This package includes the msk patchset from
  http://mehercule.net/staticpages/index.php/lastfm.

Secondly, the way your packaging files under /etc is not correct. Policy
forbids that such files are overwritten on upgrades, which you do; and
are to be removed on purge (which is different from removal), which you
also do.

Is there a reason to generate them in postinst? If not, I recommend that
you simply install them as regular files, under all possible directories,
and that'll make dpkg give you policy-compliant behavior by default.

Finally, some minor remarks:

  * in lastfm.mozilla, please use "$@" (quotes included) instead of $*.

  * when upstream only provides a tar.bz2 file, one normally does:

    bunzip2 file.tar.bz2
    gzip --best file.tar

    Instead of repacking it completely. (It is not important the name of
    the directory the file uncompresses to, dpkg-source is smart and
    handles it.) Please change that (or I can do it for you when
    uploading).

  * the install target in rules could be very simplified with a
    debian/last.fm file. I don't mind uploading in the current form, but
    I suggest you give it a go.

P.S.:

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lastfm/lastfm_1:1.1.3.0-1.dsc
                                                             ^^

I've seen stanzas like this in most RFS. Are they autogenerated in some
way? If so, the code needs to be teached to strip the epoch from the dsc.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                                              Listening to: Enya - River