Re: RFS: openjpeg

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:09:12AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:18:23AM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson a écrit :

>> Again, I question the idea that a dpatch is _easier_ to parse than the
>> .diff.gz.

> Actually, I am sorry to critisize general problems of diff.gz in a
> discussion about the particular one of your package, without having
> looked at it.

> It's just that sometimes I have a hard time finding useful information
> in the some diff.gz when they have a lot of autoconf gizmo in, or many
> manpages, xpm icons, desktop files, or any other "noise".

I find the trick with reading a .diff.gz is to ignore anything that's
in the debian directory, since that's all created (or at least, you
don't really care that much what's changed from upstream), so the
existent files are sufficient.

I also am used to skipping autoconf-generated files in the .diff.gz,
since the changes are never of actual interest, compared to the fact
that they have been changed.

That should trim the noise out almost entirely.

I don't know if this is actually true, deliberate, or just
co-incidental, but I believe it's the case that a .diff.gz has the
non-debian/ stuff, then the debian/ stuff.

> I agree that in the cases of trivial packages with a slim diff.gz, the
> discussion becomes quite academic.

Indeed, and as I've been saying, had the changes to the upstream tarball
been more than trivial, dpatch would have been the first thing I did.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/