Re: RFS: openjpeg

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:13:27PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:41:40PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson a écrit :
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:54:52PM +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:

> >> * Any other user/DD may then see precisly what changes you are doing to
> >> upstream sources. You will also be able to seperate the changes that perform
> >> a different task.

>> Currently, any other user can see what I'm doing by looking at the
>> .diff.gz.

> just a "me too" word to say that I also feel more comfortable with
> clearly labelled patches debian/patches rather than having them in the
> diff.gz, which is not the easiest medium.

Indeed, I believe this is not uncommon, hence the wig-and-pen source
package format which, if I recall correctly, provides the upstream
tarball(s), a debian/ tarball, and the patches to apply to the upstream
source. Or something like that.

Again, I question the idea that a dpatch is _easier_ to parse than the
.diff.gz. Particularly, the .diff.gz shows all the changes to a given
file in one place, and consumes any intermediate stages, so you don't
have changes in an earlier patch breaking changes in a later patch and
requiring you to reroll all subsequent patches that touch that file.

And of course the contents of debian/patches is immaterial since the
file you have to be verifying before upload is the .diff.gz. So if
you're having trouble parsing it, dpatch won't solve it. (That's what
debdiff is for. Again, debdiff output is much easier to read if you're
not using dpatch. interdiff is hard enough to use without having to
then parse _two_ layers of diff.)

> In addition, in the future it may be more and more frequent to have
> the content of the debian directories browsable through a web
> interface to a revision system. In this case again, having things in
> debian/patches makes life easier to understand the purpose of the
> modifications.

And again, if I was going to keep the debian/ directory in an external
version-control system, dpatch would be the way to go.

Since I'm not going to, the Debian archive already has a system for
storing such trivial patches, in the .diff.gz.

Despite this, and because I'm obviously going to be overruled here again
no matter what I say, here's a version using dpatch. At least dpatch use
is _easy_ to revert later.

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/openjpeg

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/