Re: manpage tools

Am Donnerstag, den 29.03.2007, 20:41 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 01:30:02PM +0200, Daniel Leidert a écrit :
> > > - If there are multiple upstream authors, it may look like that I am
> > > part of their team as there is no clear separator.
> >
> > Where is the problem? You can use
> >
> > <author>
> > 	<firstname>Charles</firstname>
> > 	<surname>Plessy</surname>
> > 	<email>whatever</email>
> > 	<contrib>Wrote this manpage</contrib>
> > </author>
> >
> > The comment is a clear separator, that you are not involved in the
> > upstream software. I don't understand, how this should look like you are
> > involved?
>
> Hi,
>
> first of all, thanks a lot for the feature request. About the author list:
>

> Paul Miller    : Wrote the main program
> John Jackson   : Implemented the foo funcion in Bar.app
> Joe Smith      : Did the artwork
> Charles Plessy : Wrote the manpage
>
> I just feel a bit shy to risk to suggest that I am the manpage writer
> in a group of upstream developpers.

I don't think, there is a need to feel "shy" here. The contrib-elements
clearly states, what people have done. I also know several manpages,
that even list _only_ the manpage author and the manpage license. Even
dh-make' manpage.xml.ex does this. There is no comment about the
upstream license and/or copyright. Maybe even a

See /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE/copyright for the programs license and
copyright.

could be enough in the legalnotice element to tell the user, where to
find the license and copyright information for the program/library/file
itself.

> But maybe if I write "Wrote the
> manpage for the Debian operating system" it is more obvious that I am
> not upstream.

That's, what manpage.xml.ex says too (I will check, if the suggested
update contains this sentence for contrib too). And probably I should
add the above sentence too.

> Alternatively, having:
>
> Upstream authors:
>  Paul Miller    : Wrote the main program
>  John Jackson   : Implemented the foo funcion in Bar.app
>  Joe Smith      : Did the artwork
>
> Other contributions :
>  Charles Plessy : Wrote the manpage
>
> Would be even clearer. But maybe a bit heavy ?

This should be discussed on the docbook-apps list. But to be honest, I
don't see a strong need to add sub-titles to the AUTHOR(S) section. The
next one then wants sub-titles for contributors (general), documenters,
graphic artists, .... IMHO the <contrib> element gives everything you
need to state, what one has done. IIRC Michael Smith said a few words
about the AUTHOR(S) section (design), when the update to this section
was done (IIRC updated with 1.70.0 release).

Regards, Daniel