Re: Question on a package split

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:17:50 +0200, Benjamin Mesing <ben-ml@gmx.net> said:

> According to Policy, Chapter 8.1 "the run-time shared library needs to
> be placed in a package whose name changes whenever the shared object
> version changes". You might need to do that, though I am not sure if
> this statement is absolute, since it is written to ensure that two
> different versions of the library can be installed at the same time,
> while if there is only one application using it, and the library is
> not useful for other packages, this might be not neccessary.

Yes.  If the SONAME (the "shared object version") for both libraries
will always be the same, it should be safe to put them both in the same
package.  If the SONAME may be out of sync, they should be in different
packages.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)