Re: RFS: tstat

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:37:30AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:20:35AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> > On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:21:47AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> > >   3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> > >      must display the following acknowledgement:
> > >        This product includes software developed by Endace Technology Ltd.,
> > >        Hamilton, New Zealand, and its contributors.
> > >   4. Neither the name of Endace Technology nor the names of its contributors
> > >      may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
> > >      without specific prior written permission.
> >
> > This is exactly the wording of the 4-clause BSD license, with just the name
> > of UC Berkeley replaced with Endace.  It's thus DFSG-free, even though it's
> > strongly discouraged.
>
> Last week-end I was told by a DD that the 4-clause BSD licence was
> non-free... Do you have any link in the archives which proves the
> contrary? This is very interesting for me as I am interested in bringing
> to Debian an unofficial package whose software is under this licence...

I have a very urgent piece of work to do, so I won't dig the archives right
now, but for example, openssl uses these words and is in main (although not
GPL-compatible).  Out of the top of my brain, http://fsf.org/licenses/,
although it's a non-Debian source.

I really dislike this license, it is dangerously close to the Gnon-FDL in
this regard, but at least I don't see the right for unharassed advertising
to be a fundamental freedom.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be