Re: Question on a package split

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 12:28, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> It's even better.  If a library is not meant (by the Debian
> maintainer, who usually follows upstream) to be used by any other
> package, then it may be installed in the binary package which uses
> it.

The new library was implemented in order to make available some parts of
KMobileTools to other packages (KDE stuff in this case)

> In that case, it may not be in /usr/lib (because that would
> suggest that it's public), but must instead be in
> /usr/lib/packagename.  In order to make things work, you will need to
> use an rpath (or LD_LIBRARY_PATH-wrapper, but that's ugly and easily
> prevents the user from using things like electric fence).

Well, the two libraries are in /usr/lib and are public...

> So if I understood the situation correctly, I'd suggest no library
> packages at all, which means just a split in two: the main package,
> and the plugin.

That was the original idea :)

Thanks again,

Francesco

P.S.:
I'm reading this list, so you can post directly to it ;)

--
:wq