Re: RFS: weather-util - command-line tool to obtain weather conditions and forecasts

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:19:45PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> Looks good to me at this point.  I've gone ahead and uploaded it.  You
> should shortly get the notification that it's waiting in NEW.
[...]

Got it--thanks! I'll keep an eye on the new queue and see if/when it
gets into sid.

> Does using the command line switch work when there isn't an entry in the
> database?  I wasn't having any luck with just weather --id=KPAO, but I may
> have been missing something.  And indeed, it seems to be working now.
> Must have just been pilot error.

Yeah, the aliases defined in your weatherrc are just conveniences to
keep from typing a bunch of command-line switches and to group
values together into a more memorable name. Nothing magic about
them. I opted to provide a global set that pre-defines a lot of
airport abbreviations as an additional nicety, and hope to expand
that as time goes on. If it gets unwieldy, I may shift the presets
to /usr/share/weather/aliases.gz or something and let /etc/weatherrc
be more for the admins to centrally override what they want without
having to edit a huge list of defaults.

> Thank you for writing it!  This is something I'll probably use regularly.
> It's nice and simple and useful and doesn't require subjecting myself to
> piles of advertising on the web.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was honestly shocked that I
couldn't find a tool capable of exactly this already in Debian, so
now hopefully nobody else has to be similarly shocked. My only
regret is that the (completely unrelated) "weather" package will be
in oldstable/non-free until etch+1, or I would have simply called my
package that.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);