Re: RFS: weather-util - command-line tool to obtain weather conditions and forecasts

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 07:35:29PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The reference to /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD is not really correct
> since your software is not Copyright The Regents of the University of
> California.  I'd remove that and just put the full text of the license
> into debian/copyright.  Besides, your license doesn't actually match
> anyway; you only have a two-clause license.

Great point, and corrected (uploaded to the same repo). I didn't
bump the package revision since I've seen some debates in here on
whether it's a good idea to enter the new queue with something other
than a -1 rev, but I can easily do so and update the
debian/changelog if such is your preference.

> You call dh_* commands in the clean target, so the debhelper dependency
> has to be in Build-Depends, not Build-Depends-Indep.  (Unstable lintian
> catches this.)

Corrected as well. Turns out I was running lintian 1.23.16 and this
check seems to have been added since (once upgraded and it started
complaining for me too).

> I'd be happy to sponsor this with those changes.  It looks like a fairly
> useful program.  Although, do you know why a lot of METARs appear to be
> missing from its data source?  Are only some METARs supported?  Neither
> KPAO nor KSJC appear to work, for instance.

As per the FAQ, the default list is far from complete and
submissions are welcomed. The couple hundred I threw in there were
ones where I was easily able to match the METAR up to a forecast
path with an identical state and city/MSA name (via some quick and
dirty awk magic). It's trivial to add your own aliases or even just
use the command-line switches instead. I have added KPAO and KSJC to
my list for the next release. While KSJC was relatively easy to
match up to a forecast by hand, KPAO took me hitting a map (since I
know little of Californian geography) to determine that the closest
forecast for Palo Alto was probably San Francisco...

   fungi@cthulhu:~$ weather -l | grep -e pao -e sjc
      pao: --id=KPAO --city="San Francisco" --st=CA
      sjc: --id=KSJC --city="San Jose" --st=CA

Should be in the 1.2 release with any additional submissions I get.
You could add this to the /etc/weatherrc or stick it in your
personal ~/.weatherrc file in the meantime:

   [PAO]
   City = San Francisco
   ID = KPAO
   St = CA

   [SJC]
   City = San Jose
   ID = KSJC
   St = CA

Thanks for the interest and let me know if any other issues jump out
at you!
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);