Re: php[4|5]+apache DSO - should I care about php4?

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> > 		- change "--with-php-config" in my configure script to
> > "--with-php4-config" and "--with-php5-config", which would do the exact same
> > thing, only twice. :-)
> >
> > 		- build that part of the source tree twice with two
> > different sets of configure options to create the two DSOs.
> These two options seem more or less the same.  It's quite common to do this,
> BTW -- see Python modules that build for multiple Python versions, or Apache
> modules that build for both 1.3 and 2 (libapache-mod-auth-mysql is an
> example of this).

	I think I'm going to go with option #2, since if an individual is
building from source and calling "configure" themselves, they'll probably
only want to build against one of then anyways.

> Based on the Debian experience with PHP3, I'd doubt it.  It's not even dead
> upstream yet, and PHP4 still has massive mindshare.  Since converting
> existing code to PHP5 is non-trivial, I seriously doubt that PHP4 will be
> going away any time soon.
>
> That being said, there's no reason why you have to support PHP4.  There's
> plenty of software out there that's PHP5 only; you just have to decide if
> the increased developer exposure is worth the extra maintenance burden.

	As it stands right now, php_mod_bt.so compiles cleanly against both
php4 and php5 (even though it only uses php4's "php_apache.h" header at
that! ha!)... so long as that remains true, I think I'm going to try to
support both as debian packages.

	Thanks for the feedback!

		- Tyler