Re: php[4|5]+apache DSO - should I care about php4?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 01:58:08PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> 	Of course, both php4 and php5 are still out there and probably both
> are widely used at this point. There's two ways I can think of to go about
> rolling .deb's for each:
>
> 		- change "--with-php-config" in my configure script to
> "--with-php4-config" and "--with-php5-config", which would do the exact same
> thing, only twice. :-)
>
> 		- build that part of the source tree twice with two
> different sets of configure options to create the two DSOs.

These two options seem more or less the same.  It's quite common to do this,
BTW -- see Python modules that build for multiple Python versions, or Apache
modules that build for both 1.3 and 2 (libapache-mod-auth-mysql is an
example of this).

> 	But should I be overly concerned with building a php4- package? Or
> is PHP4 expected to be retired soonish?

Based on the Debian experience with PHP3, I'd doubt it.  It's not even dead
upstream yet, and PHP4 still has massive mindshare.  Since converting
existing code to PHP5 is non-trivial, I seriously doubt that PHP4 will be
going away any time soon.

That being said, there's no reason why you have to support PHP4.  There's
plenty of software out there that's PHP5 only; you just have to decide if
the increased developer exposure is worth the extra maintenance burden.

- Matt