Removing former conffiles

Hello,

After bug report #339387, I added a postinst file to the dummy package
gnocatan-meta-server, which does
update-rc.d gnocatan-meta-server remove &>/dev/null || true
in order to get rid of the links which were created by the previous
(non-dummy) version of the package.

However, this didn't seem to work.  Appearantly this is what happened:
- The non-dummy package created the conffile
- The package was upgraded to the dummy version, which no longer held the
  conffile.  However, it being a conffile, it was not removed (perhaps this is
  only true if it was actually changed?)
- On purging the dummy package, the conffile is not removed because it isn't
  listed as part of the package.
- update-rc.d then refuses to remove the links, because the file is still
  there.
- Both the conffile and the links remain on the system.

The question is, how do I solve this?  Should I forcefully remove the conffile
before calling update-rc.d?  It feels really bad to remove files from /etc in
maintainer scripts, but perhaps it's the right thing to do...

As an aside, I suppose that such "manual" removal would work both for file-rc
and sysv-rc, right?

Thanks,
Bas