Re: build-essential / native-package-with-dash-version ?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:03:22 -0500, "Joe Smith" <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> said:

> "Hubert Chan" <uhoreg@debian.org> wrote in message
> [🔎] 878xhvvvss.fsf@evinrude.uhoreg.ca">news:[🔎] 878xhvvvss.fsf@evinrude.uhoreg.ca...
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:30:03 -0300, "andremachado"
>> <andremachado@techforce.com.br> said:
>>> The executable-not-elf-or-script I guess will continue. Jar, war,
>>> policy and stamp are generated by the compilation and are the
>>> results.
>>
>> I don't know about whether jar files should be executable, but if
>> they shouldn't you should "chmod -x" them in your build process,
>> after they get installed.

> Jar files are simply zip files with a manifest. The last I checked the
> exec syscall had no special handling for zip files, and as they lack a
> bang path, they relly are not executable as far as the system is
> concerned. So unless a JVM expects jars to have the executable bit
> set, it probably should not be.

It is possible to support execution of jar files using the binfmt_misc
mechanism.  The only question is whether or not that's something that we
do in Debian, which should probably be in the Debian Java policy
somewhere.  As I don't maintain any Java-related packages, though, I
don't know what the Java policy says, so I don't know if jar files are
allowed to be executable (although I suspect that they shouldn't be).

--
Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/