Re: build-essential / native-package-with-dash-version ?

"Hubert Chan" <uhoreg@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 878xhvvvss.fsf@evinrude.uhoreg.ca">news:[🔎] 878xhvvvss.fsf@evinrude.uhoreg.ca...
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:30:03 -0300, "andremachado" <andremachado@techforce.com.br> said:
The executable-not-elf-or-script I guess will continue. Jar, war,
policy and stamp are generated by the compilation and are the results.

I don't know about whether jar files should be executable, but if they
shouldn't you should "chmod -x" them in your build process, after they
get installed.

Jar files are simply zip files with a manifest. The last I checked the exec syscall had no special handling for zip files, and as they lack a bang path, they relly are not executable as far as the system is concerned. So unless a JVM expects jars to have
the executable bit set, it probably should not be.

HTH.

(IANADD)