Re: Version 1 accidentally released as version 2...

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:14:36AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:33:46AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > OK, thanks all for your answers. I will mention the problem in the
> > README. How can I give a message only to the users who upgrade from the
> > previous version? I do not want to annoy the ones who will install from
> > Etch next year...
>
> If you put in NEWS.Debian (it has the same format as debian/changelog, you
> can even use dch to edit it) then people who are using apt-listchanges and
> are upgrading from a version older than the version in which the news was
> logged against will see the message.

But that's not what he wants, because then all the people who upgrade to etch
with also see it then, even though it's irrelevant for them.  What he's asking
is if there's a way to show it only if the upgrade is from a high enough
version.

If the message is important enough for a debconf note, you can use that (and
display it depending on a version check in the config script).  You shouldn't
use debconf notes if the user doesn't actually need to do anything though.
(that is, notes are annoying and should only exist because something important
is happening, where some action is required from the user.)

Thanks,
Bas