Version 1 accidentally released as version 2...

Dear mentors,

For one of the packages I created, the upstream sources I used were a
version 1.x accidentally released as version 2.0 on sourceforge. The
differences between the two versions are quite high, as the file formats
accepted in input have changed (some added, some removed).

I am wondering what I am supposed to do in this case :

a) Release a different package which conflicts on the previous, or

b) use an epoch and upgrade the current package as version 2.0, or

c) ask upstream to increase the version number (for instance they could
include add the manpages I wrote for the program) and upgrade then.

The options b) or c) could be accompagned by a NEWS or something
equivalent if this is not an abuse, to tell that there has been a major
version change and that scripts could break.

I would favor option a), but if upstream becomes suddently mega-active
and releases a major version every half year, this could be a mess.

I welcome any opinion or advice on this question.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org